Board index HVAC Parts & Repair Help HVAC (Heating) (1) Flame Sensor

Flame Sensor

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:45 pm

My Payne PGMAB 90% furnace was acting weird, HSI heater on. flame on, then flame off. Second try and flame stayed on. Replaced flame sensor, works good. I noticed the original sensor was very clean, but the mounting screw was loose. I think this sensor requires a good ground to work properly. Will keep the old sensor. What do you think?
Daryl

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:20 pm
joe User avatar

A warm flame sensor works better than a cold one- often flame sensor problems are first noticed in the mornings when the furnace had been turned down over night and didn't run as much.

The setiments from the gas that collect on the flame sensor are not always visible- the rod usually looks clean. If you want to test how well it is doing, but a volt meter on VDC in series between the flame sensor and the flame sensor wire. When the unit lites, if the VDC is 3 or below, you are going to have troubles. 10-12 would be brand new specs.

Hope that helps!

NorthAmericaHVAC.com
Joe

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Joe,
Is it important that the flame sensor be securely grounded with it's mounting tab to work properly?

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks Joe,
I reinstalled my old flame sensor securely and it works good now. Will keep the new one for a spare part. I received the proper HSI from NA-HVAC in the mail, after returning the wrong part.

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:38 pm
joe User avatar

Good deal- glad it was able to be worked out, sorry for the inconvience!

NorthAmericaHVAC.com
Joe

Post Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:17 pm

hi, i have the techno-stuff uv flame sensor but i dont realy understand how to program it...
can anybody help me?? i need to program to detect a flame and move to him...

Return to HVAC (Heating) (1)